PLEDGE FOR CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH
- Make the European Union a force for protecting and promoting cardiovascular health
- Strive to have EU Member States working together to address heart disease and stroke
- Call on the EU Member States to adopt national strategies to promote cardiovascular health and prevent cardiovascular disease
- Call for continued financial support for further research into preventing cardiovascular disease and promoting cardiovascular health at local, national and European levels
- Call on the European Commission to encourage initiatives and collaboration with interested stakeholders which aim to contribute to a socio-economic environment conducive to cardiovascular health
- Take into account potential impact on cardiovascular health when voting on EU legislation
- Help improve the availability of high-quality, comparative data that will allow effective diagnosis and treatment and provide benchmarks for cost-effectiveness, benefiting people and the economy
|MEP Heart Group|
The Members of the European Parliament (MEP) Heart Group is a forum which provides MEPs with an opportunity to generate dialogue, outreach and activities at EU and Member State level. It is made up of MEPs who have an interest in promoting measures that will help reduce the burden of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) in Europe and raise CVD as a priority on the EU political agenda.
CVD is the main cause of death and disability in Europe. In response to this, the European Heart Network (EHN) and the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) are committed to identifying specific areas of policies and public health interventions which can contribute to preventing avoidable deaths and disabilities from CVD.